Saturday, August 21, 2010

Why do girls/women with nice wavy hair flat-iron or straighten it like a religion?

Before the 20th century, women in Europe and America w/ wavy ginger hair were considered the most beautiful. Even the great Galileo wrote medical treatise on how the women of Europe could have grit for whitening the teeth and a recipe for auburn hair.


Nowadays, even extremely sound-minded women clutch their Chi ceramic irons to their bosoms like a holy mandate.


I have two friends w/ long luscious chestnut hair. They both flat iron their hair like their lives depends upon it. They have both been doing this since jr high school and are now college seniors. Either can explain why they continue the daily struggle to make their hair stick-straight at such a high cost in products, time and damage to their hair.


On days that one of them sleeps in late, I might meet her for lunch and she always exclaims shamfully ';My hair is awful today! It鈥檚 terrible! I hate it.';


My question always is what is wrong with those lovely God-given face-framing curls, ringlets and waves in the first place.Why do girls/women with nice wavy hair flat-iron or straighten it like a religion?
I gave up ironing my hair years ago. It's just what the media likes these days. I love my hair and I stand out in the crowd. We tend to get brain washed into thinking we have to be like everyone else and a majority of people are not blessed with the curls and waves. Therefore, (and I was one of the blind followers for a long time) it makes sense that so many girls try to hide their beautiful locks in favor of blending in. Once they get self-esteem, they usually stop. I know I did and I'll never go back.Why do girls/women with nice wavy hair flat-iron or straighten it like a religion?
Not all women/girls do so.


I agree with you--waves and curls are so pretty.


I love my waves.


Good luck
It's because we want what we do not have, if my hair is straight I want curly hair, if it is curly I want straight hair. Straight hair is really ';in'; right now as well.
I think sometimes people just get bored with seeing the same thing in the mirror every day, or maybe they find a style that they think makes them look good, so they just stick with it. Sometimes it's difficult to see yourself for how you naturally are and really appreciate it. Even I tend to think I look like a monster without a bit of makeup here and there, when in the past I thought makeup was pointless and never wore any. I think people just fall into a routine of doing things and stay that way.
they don't see what you see and in there opinion they think they are hidious unless they meet their self percieved idea of beauty
Well, I have wavy hair but sometimes I like having the sleek look of straight hair. I had pin straight hair my whole life then about 3 years ago my hair started getting wavy--I don't know why. Actually it's crazy wavy right now because it's humid. I like wavy sometimes because I don't have to do it to get ready to go somewhere--a little styling product, air dry and go. I like my hair both ways.
What a strange trend. I didn't even know that women did that until you


mentioned it. There are of course women with naturally straight hair that


use curling irons to make their hair wavy. Evidently, some women innately


prefer straight hair, and others innately prefer wavy hair.





Wavy hair is characterized by the abstract property of fineness, such


that people with a temperament of fineness prefer it, and people with a


temperament of crudeness detest it.

No comments:

Post a Comment